How do we optimize the constant flow of information that we receive from both social and traditionnal media every day?
We tend to manage content and contacts, on our desktop and mobile, mainly from our social media accounts thanks to Seesmic, tweetdeck…etc. But also from mainstream media with Google Reader…etc. Indeed, informations now come from multiple accounts and a wide range of services: location-based software, professional networking, personal networking, Bookmarks management, documents sharing, RSS Readers… And unless you believe you’re a super hero or do not use those services, we need (or eventually will need…) support from well elaborated softwares to efficiently manage our dozen (more?) accounts.
Until recently, no tool was able to centralize, classify and properly deliver a smart flow (with which we can interact) from both social and traditional media. But it’s in the trend: Silentale, Inbox2, Gist… are finally showing us the way to cleverly manage it.
It seems so obvious: “Of course I’d like to receive, classify and interact with contacts and information from a single account that would manage them all”. However, we’re not exactly there yet although Gist (I believe the most complete tool nowadays) has been doing quite an impressive job so far! Improvments need to be done though and here is my TOP 5 :
- Update: While I’m getting information from twitter, facebook, linkedin, rss, google…etc. That I can share, I cannot actually just tweet or update my status (from Gist).
- Software: Tweetdeck, Seesmic… Even Inbox2… They all have smooth, fast, and user-frienfly desktop clients. Even web-based, it must be that way.
- Groups: As on facebook or twitter, we should be able to classify our contacts so we receive instantly, daily, or weekly notifications depending on settings.
- Push: They all push… Foursquare, Facebook, Twitter… Stop them, get them all and be the only one pushing the information that matter to me.
- Documents and links: I wanna be able to share my documents (from google docs, emails…) and links (from delicious, Chrome…).
What about you… I invite you to ask yourself how you imagine managing your gmail, facebook, twitter, linkedin, outlook, webmail, RSS (that by the way contains duplicate contacts) within a single account ?